Legal Aid: A Blog About Laws And Legal Processes

Legal Aid: A Blog About Laws And Legal Processes

What Overseas Partners Should Know About Partner Visas

Renee Bates

If you live outside of Australia but you are in a relationship with someone living in Australia, you may hear about partner visas. This type of visa is designed for the spouse or significant other of an Australian citizen so the partner can move to the country. This is a visa that is similar to other visas offered in countries such as the United States and Great Britain. Before you move forward with the process of obtaining this visa, there are some things you need to understand.

Citizenship Status

The first and most important aspect of obtaining the partner visa deals with citizenship. In order to obtain the visa, you must be in a relationship with someone who is an Australian citizen. This relationship must be considered a marriage or a domestic partnership that qualifies as a marriage legally. This means that your spouse or partner will need to show their citizenship records to begin the process. You may also need to provide proof of your relationship as well. You may also need to provide your intent to become a citizen as well. 


Your spouse or partner must be a permanent resident of Australia. This means that they must show several documents. They must show proof of residency, a mortgage or rental agreement, an energy bill or related statement and possibly employment records. You will also need to show that you will be living with your partner at their permanent address following the partner visa being granted. In some cases, you may need to show that you plan on obtaining residency as well. 

Provisional Options

In some cases, you can obtain a provisional partner visa. This visa is given to those who may not be staying on a permanent basis. It is a temporary option. This is the ideal option if you are in a relationship with an Australian citizen and you are not certain if you will remain in the marriage or if you visiting the country prior to the marriage as part of a marriage agreement. You can move from a provisional option to a full partner visa at a later date. 

If you and your partner believe that a partner visa is a good idea for your situation, contact your local immigration office. They can help you with the right forms and with starting the process to obtain this type of visa. They can also answer any questions you may have regarding the overall process. 


2019© Legal Aid: A Blog About Laws And Legal Processes
About Me
Legal Aid: A Blog About Laws And Legal Processes

Welcome! My name is Jessica, and I work as a legal aid secretary. I am in awe of the lawyers in my office and the variety of cases they cover. From injury compensation to family court matters, they need to understand the law in a broad range of areas. As a legal secretary, it is often my job to research particular points of law or find certain cases for reference. It is a fascinating job and I work hard to keep up with the constant changes to our laws and legal processes. Friends and family often ask me for direction on legal matters and whilst I explain that I am no expert, I usually manage to provide sound advice. This blog is for people who share my passion for the law or who want to understand more about our legal system. I hope you find it engaging and useful.